The other day, I went to the grocery store. That probably sounds incredibly boring and humdrum, but for a college kid, the grocery store is a big deal. The closest grocery store to my dorm is still nearly a mile away, and of course I walked there in the cold–how else would I get myself there? I went because I needed some food for my room (meal plans don’t cover everything!). Grocery shopping is scary. When I go, I almost feel like a real, grown-up person, and I’m not ready for that yet. At this point, I’m counting down the last few months of being a teenager… eek. Also, sometimes you find jars of pickled pigs feet. That one kinda grossed me out.
Well, anyway, whenever I go grocery shopping, I always end up with at least one impulse buy. Today it was a package of crystallized ginger. Lemme just say, I absolutely love ginger. When I get sushi, I actually eat the pink slivers of pickled ginger that come with it. Ginger’s not for everyone though. I tried feeding some to my roommate and she said it tasted like soap.
This morning, I (as usual) missed breakfast at my dorm and instead decided to make some tasty oatmeal. I’m not a big fan of plain oatmeal, but add a lot of stuff to it, and it’s one of the best breakfasts ever. Today, I added honey, almonds, and a few pieces of my newly purchased crystallized ginger.
1. Make oatmeal. Because I live in a dorm, I used instant oatmeal, but real oatmeal would work just as well.
2. Drizzle honey on your oatmeal. Generously.
3. Drop in a handful of almonds, preferably not salted or flavored in any way.
4. Put in a few pieces of crystallized ginger. The sugar on the ginger ends up melting off and flavoring the rest of the oatmeal.
5. Mix it all together. It looks a lot prettier when it’s not mixed, but it tastes better when everything’s all blended together.